Vazhai Poo Vadai | Banana Blossom Fritters
Vazhai poo vadai / Banana Blossom Fritters - these fritters are most common in South India. An amazing burger patty making this a great substitute for meat.
Servings 4 people
- 200 g Banana Blossom Florets , pistil removed and cleaned (approx. 1 medium banana flower)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 tbsp Split, roasted Bengal Gram
- 4 medium Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 15 Shallots / Pearl Onions
- 3 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Salt , or as required
- Oil , for frying
Chop the Banana Blossom Florets roughly. Add to a pan of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. Drain water.
In a food processor, blend together the green chillies and bengal gram.
Add the cooked florets, shallots, fennel seeds, salt, and curry leaves to the food processor. Blend to a coarse mixture.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
Make even sized balls from the processed mixture. Flatten the balls to about 1/2 inch height. and shape the edges neatly.
Fry them in batches and over low-medium flame until golden brown.
- Instead of blending the shallots, you can also chop them up into rough bits and add to the processed mixture.
- If you want a crispier vadais / fritters, you can flatten them as thinly as they hold.
- These fritters taste best when immediately served.
- Make great burger patties.
- Goes really well with rice and rasam during lunch or can just be eaten during snacktime.