Instant Pot Butter Chickpeas | Chickpea Butter Masala
Butter Chickpeas/ Chickpea Tikka Masala made in Instant Pot (step-by-step VIDEO recipe). This creamy and rich curry comes together in 30-minutes and it is a delicious side to serve with Naan Flatbread or Basmati Rice!
To make the base sauce:
Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode for 10 minutes. Pour in the oil and let it get hot.
Once the oil is hot enough, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter. Next add the green chillies and onions and saute until the onions begin to turn translucent.
Spoon in the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute. Add the tomatoes to the Instant Pot and sauté for a bit.
Add the salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Give it a mix and add the cashews along with the water.
Close the Instant Pot with its lid and SEAL it. Set it to PRESSURE COOK mode for 8 minutes.
After the end of the cycle, Quick Release and leave the Instant Pot uncovered for it to completely cool down. Once cool, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth*.
To make the chickpea butter masala:
Pour the blended sauce back into the Instant Pot. Pour the milk, add the sugar and garam masala. Tip in the cooked Chickpeas* and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves.
Close the Instant Pot with its lid and SEAL it. PRESSURE COOK it for 12 minutes. Once done, Quick Release and open the Instant Pot. Add 1/2 tsp of dried fenugreek leaves and coriander leaves for garnish! Squeeze a quarter of a lemon and serve hot!
- USE THE SERVING SIZE ADJUSTOR ABOVE TO ALTER THE INGREDIENT MEASUREMENTS FOR AS MANY NUMBER OF PEOPLE YOU LIKE.
- I use a 6-quart Instant Pot. Cook time may vary for other models/sizes.
- Chickpeas: I've used cooked chickpeas here. But if you have soaked chickpeas but haven't cooked them yet, you can add them to the sauce and set the PRESSURE COOK time to 25 minutes. This method does take a bit more time sometimes (like pre-soaked) and I like to cook chickpeas beforehand and add it to the sauce.
- Blending: If you're not entertaining or are in a hurry, you can use an Immersion Blender to directly blend it in the Instant Pot. But if you want a perfectly thick and smooth sauce, you have to blend it in a blender and pass it through a mesh strainer. This removes any solids left out in the sauce.
- Sugar: If you don't like to add sugar, you can skip it or use honey or brown sugar.
- To make this Vegan: Swap the whole milk with coconut milk or any of your favorite nut milk. Also, skip the butter.
- To adjust the caloric value: Use skimmed milk in place of whole milk. Skip the butter and cashews.
- For more substitutions and variations, scroll up.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 36.8g | Protein: 9.2g | Fat: 8.8g | Saturated Fat: 1.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.1g | Cholesterol: 2.8mg | Sodium: 151mg | Potassium: 984mg | Fiber: 7.1g | Sugar: 8.5g