Paneer Jalfrezi | Recipe for Paneer Jalfrezi
Paneer Jalfrezi - the easiest paneer stir-fry that you can ever make and one that will taste mind-blowing! It is tastes like paneer tikka but half the work and it is a stir-fry!
Servings 4 people
- 200 g Paneer
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil , (see notes)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 medium Onion , julienned, approx. 100-150g
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder , (see notes)
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder
- 4 tsp Tomato Puree
- 1/2 tsp Salt , adjust to taste
- 1 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- 100 g Bell Peppers , mixed colors, julienned
- Cilantro leaves , for garnish, (optional)
- Ginger , julienned, for garnish, (optional)
Heat oil in a skillet. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
Add the onions and sauté for a few minutes until it begins to turn translucent.
Spoon in the ginger garlic paste and then add the tomato puree with salt.
Immediatley after, add the spice powders and mix for a minute and add the bell peppers for a quick sauté. *
Sauté everything for a minute or two and then finally the add the paneer. Carefully stir to coat the paneer with the masala.
Remove from heat, sprinkle with cilantro leaves and ginger. Serve it hot!
- Use the servings adjustor in the recipe card to increase or decrease the ingredients accordingly.
- Oil: If using non-stick, 1 tbsp oil would be enough and for cast iron skillet you'll need to use 3 tbsp oil.
- Cooking Paneer: Paneer once added to the pan will soften up and be fragile. Handle it carefully. Instead of moving the paneer to coat with masala, use tongs to put the masala on the paneer.
- Tomato puree: If you don't have tomato puree use one small crushed tomato
- Chilli Powder: Kashmiri Chilli powder has less hotness but gives a rich red color. If you don't have it, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of regular chili or paprika powder.
- Saute time: Every ingredient is a quick sauté, that's how this dish becomes a quick one. There has to be some level of crunch to onions and bell peppers.
- Serve it with rotis/naans or basmati rice with other accompaniments.