Last updated on March 3rd, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts step-by-step recipe – an easy to make, simple yet wholesome snack. Boiled salted peanuts are popularly sold as street food, and are used to make other street delicacies.Jump to Recipe
When I was a kid, I ate a lot of Peanuts, like quite often. It was always available in our house in one form or the other, be it raw or roasted. And I remember grabbing a handful from a sackful of peanuts which came from a relatives farm.
Those were the times when no one in India had much awareness of Peanut Allergy and those were also the time when Peanut butter wasn’t famous or even known to most people in this country. But we had peanuts; cheap and easily available snacks and of course a favorite street food ingredient.
When I used to get bored of eating raw or roasted peanuts, I used to ask my mom to boil me some peanuts. Or groundnuts as we locally call it. There’s really something about boiled peanuts, it has the flavor of earth from the shells imparted in them. And with the added salt, it is just unbelievably tasty.
It is surprising how something so simple can taste so delicious. Which is why Boiled Peanuts are a favorite in so many households.
Boiled Peanuts are a portion of common street food across the world. However, there are some other ways you could try making/ using these Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts, like these:
- Cajun-spiced boiled peanuts
- Spicy Mexican boiled peanuts
- Boiled Peanut Soup
- Puffed Rice and Boiled Peanuts Salad / Peanut Sundal (South Indian)
Is Boiled Peanuts healthy?
Research suggests that boiled peanuts are packed with vitamins and heart-healthy nutrients thereby making them very healthy. And a fun fact? Peanuts actually absorb antioxidants from their shells while boiling making it doubly healthy.
How to store Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts?
Boiled peanuts are best when eaten hot or warm; just fresh out of the heat. It tastes amazing that way, but it isn’t any less tasty when not hot either. It’s just a feeling of warmth and probably nostalgic factors in for me.
Store the Instant Pot Boiled peanuts in their shells in your refrigerator for a day. Freezing and reheating doesn’t bring out/retain the best flavor of peanuts, so I’d skip freezing them. And because it is so easy to make with an instant pot, you should make it afresh.
Peanuts are naturally gluten-free, vegan and lactose-free. However, people with IBS sometimes get hives after consuming peanuts. But basically peanuts are harmless for anyone who doesn’t have a peanut allergy.
Variations and Alternatives:
These Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts were cooked with just some added salt, you can however add
- Chilli Powder/ Cajun Spice for a Spicy Boiled Peanuts
- Add some pasta seasonings for an herby taste in your Boiled Peanuts
I have boiled peanuts on the stovetop in a covered saucepan. It takes about an hour plus. You can do that as well if you don’t have a pressure cooker or an Instant Pot. If you have a regular pressure cooker, follow the same instructions and cook for 20-30 pressure releases. It takes about 40 minutes or so.
I love using Instant Pot because I don’t have to keep checking if it is done. And then there’s no dirty water coming out like it does in my regular pressure cooker. And I don’t have to keep counting the number of pressure releases. Of course, then there’s the factor of the scorching, it doesn’t happen in Instant Pot.
How to make Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts:
This is the simplest of the simplest recipes on this blog. It is that easy.
- Place 400g raw peanuts in a large bowl and wash them under running water. Drain the water using your hands to stop the peanuts from falling out. We are not using a colander now because the big particles of dirt don’t go away when using a colander.
- Now, place them in a colander and wash under running water until any visible dirt goes off.
- Transfer the washed and cleaned peanuts to the Instant Pot bowl placed in the Instant Pot.
- Pour 1 litres of water over the peanuts.
- Add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and SEAL the vent. Set to PRESSURE COOK mode for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, you can Quick Release or let it release naturally.
- Open the Instant Pot lid and let off excess steam. Using the safety mitts, lift the bowl and transfer to a colander to drain the water.
- Alternatively, you can spoon small quantities of boiled peanuts using a slotted spoon as and when you need them.
- Finally, place them on a wide plate to serve. Remove shells as you eat and discard the shells!
Recipe Source: boiled peanuts have always been in our household for snack times.
- The quantity of the cooked and shelled peanuts might vary depending upon the variety of raw peanuts. Also, you’ll have uniformly shaped and sized peanuts when you buy Quality Controlled Peanuts, which will give you a consistent result. I just pick them up from local vendors so it unevenly shaped and most definitely has unuseable peanuts in them.
Quick Boiled Peanuts in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- Slotted Spoon
- 400 g Peanuts , washed and drained
- 1 tbsp Rock salt , heaped
- 1 litre Water
- Place the washed raw Peanuts in the Instant Pot Bowl.
- Pour in the water and add the salt.
- Close with lid Instant Pot and set it to PRESSURE COOK mode for 30 minutes.
- Quick release after 30 minutes and spoon out required amount of peanuts using a slotted spoon.
- Serve in individual bowls and eat them by removing the shells as you eat. Discard the shells.
- USE THE SERVING SIZE ADJUSTOR ABOVE TO ALTER THE INGREDIENT MEASUREMENTS FOR AS MANY NUMBER OF PEOPLE YOU LIKE.
- The quantity of the cooked and shelled peanuts might vary depending upon the variety of raw peanuts. Also, if they are quality controlled, you’ll have uniformly shaped and sized peanuts, which will give you a consistent result. I just pick them up from local vendors so it unevenly shaped and most definitely has unuseable peanuts in them.
Made this? Got doubts? Let me know what you think in the comments below! — medium bold drop cap